4 years ago

Posterolateral Corner Injuries of the Knee at the National Football League Combine: An Imaging and Outcomes Analysis

(1) To determine the epidemiology, examination findings, imaging findings, and associated injuries of posterolateral corner (PLC) injuries in players participating in the National Football League (NFL) Combine and (2) to evaluate the impact of PLC injuries on performance compared with matched controls. Methods All PLC injuries identified at the NFL Combine between 2009 and 2015 were reviewed. The inclusion criteria were any player who had clinical findings or a previous surgical procedure consistent with a PLC injury and who participated in medical and performance testing at the NFL Combine. PLC injuries were identified by evaluating the side-to-side difference in lateral-compartment laxity with varus stress and reviewing magnetic resonance imaging studies. NFL performance outcomes (draft position and number of games played or started within the first 2 years) were compared with matched controls. Results Of the 2,285 players assessed at the NFL Combine, 16 (0.7%) were identified with a history of a grade II or III PLC tear and surgical management whereas 7 additional players (0.3%) had a PLC injury diagnosed on clinical examination, for 23 total PLC injuries (1%). On examination, 13 of 22 knees (59%) were shown to be stable; however, most of those managed surgically had significantly improved stability (13 of 15 stable) versus none of those managed nonsurgically (0 of 7 stable). Surgically managed PLC-injured athletes started significantly fewer games than controls (5.3 vs 10.5, P = .03); the mean draft position for players with surgically treated PLC injuries was 139.7 versus controls' mean draft position of 111.3. Of the 16 athletes treated operatively, 2 reported a PLC injury recurrence; both were managed nonoperatively. Conclusions A small percentage of players at the NFL Combine had evidence of a previous PLC injury (1%), with 0.4% having residual varus asymmetry on clinical examination. A worse overall mean draft position for isolated PLC-injured athletes versus controls was found: 132.8 versus 111.3 (P = .02). It is recommended that the use of varus stress radiographs be considered for NFL Combine athletes to objectively determine their grade of injury. Level of Evidence Level IV, retrospective case series.

Publisher URL: www.sciencedirect.com/science

DOI: S0749806317311623

You might also like
Discover & Discuss Important Research

Keeping up-to-date with research can feel impossible, with papers being published faster than you'll ever be able to read them. That's where Researcher comes in: we're simplifying discovery and making important discussions happen. With over 19,000 sources, including peer-reviewed journals, preprints, blogs, universities, podcasts and Live events across 10 research areas, you'll never miss what's important to you. It's like social media, but better. Oh, and we should mention - it's free.

  • Download from Google Play
  • Download from App Store
  • Download from AppInChina

Researcher displays publicly available abstracts and doesn’t host any full article content. If the content is open access, we will direct clicks from the abstracts to the publisher website and display the PDF copy on our platform. Clicks to view the full text will be directed to the publisher website, where only users with subscriptions or access through their institution are able to view the full article.