3 years ago

Psoriasis and migraine

M.A. Giamberardino, G. Affaitati, P. Amerio, A. Capo
Background Psoriasis and migraine share several pathogenetic mechanisms due to systemic inflammation, which increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. Objective Our aim was to investigate the prevalence of migraine with (MA) and without aura (MO) in the psoriatic population, investigating a possible new comorbidity of the psoriatic disease. Methods We referred 68 psoriatic patients to a nine questions survey formulated on the basis of the International Headache Society (IHS) diagnostic criteria for migraine. Then, in the case of MA, the mean monthly number of migraine crises was assessed. Data of psoriatic patients were then compared with those of a psoriasis-free control group composed of 235 migraine patients (with and without aura). Results A clinical diagnosis of migraine was performed in 32 psoriasis patients with a great prevalence in women (F: 87.50% - M: 12.5%). Moreover, we found a much higher prevalence (62.5%) of MA, with the remaining 37.5% diagnosed with MO. Comparing the prevalence of MA between psoriasis + migraine patients and the control group we observed a statistical significative difference (P < 0.0001); furthermore, the number of MA crises was significantly higher (P < 0.0001) in patients with psoriasis with respect to the MA control group. Conclusions We showed a significant association between psoriasis and migraine, especially MA, probably due to common pathogenetic mechanisms, but further studies are needed to assess their interplay in developing cardiovascular diseases.

Publisher URL: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/resolve/doi

DOI: 10.1111/jdv.14472

You might also like
Discover & Discuss Important Research

Keeping up-to-date with research can feel impossible, with papers being published faster than you'll ever be able to read them. That's where Researcher comes in: we're simplifying discovery and making important discussions happen. With over 19,000 sources, including peer-reviewed journals, preprints, blogs, universities, podcasts and Live events across 10 research areas, you'll never miss what's important to you. It's like social media, but better. Oh, and we should mention - it's free.

  • Download from Google Play
  • Download from App Store
  • Download from AppInChina

Researcher displays publicly available abstracts and doesn’t host any full article content. If the content is open access, we will direct clicks from the abstracts to the publisher website and display the PDF copy on our platform. Clicks to view the full text will be directed to the publisher website, where only users with subscriptions or access through their institution are able to view the full article.