5 years ago

Impact of adverse drug events and treatment satisfaction on patient adherence with antihypertensive medication – a study in ambulatory patients

Peter G. M. Mol, Afework Mulugeta, Flora M. Haaijer-Ruskamp, Johannes G. M. Burgerhof, Yewondwossen Tadesse Mengistu, Derbew Fikadu Berhe, Katja Taxis
Aims The aim of the present study was to evaluate the impact of adverse drug events (ADEs) and treatment satisfaction on antihypertensive medication adherence. Methods A cross-sectional study was conducted in six public hospitals in Ethiopia. We included adult ambulatory patients on antihypertensive medication. Adherence was measured using the eight-point Morisky Medication Adherence Scale, which categorizes as low (0–5), medium (6–7) and high (8) adherence. Treatment satisfaction was measured using the Treatment Satisfaction Questionnaire for Medication (TSQM) version 1.4, which included questions about ADEs. Data were analysed using generalized ordered logistic regression with 95% confidence intervals (CIs). Results We included 925 out of 968 patients. Overall, 42% of patients scored low, 37% medium and 21% high adherence. Satisfaction with treatment was low, with a mean (standard deviation) TSQM score for global satisfaction of 51 (14). A total of 193 (21%) patients experienced 421 ADEs – mainly dyspeptic symptoms (12%), headache (11%) and cough (11). Experiencing more ADEs reduced the odds of being adherent [low vs. medium/high: odds ratio (OR) OR1 0.77 (95% CI 0.67, 0.89), and low/medium vs. high: OR2 0.55 (05% CI 0.41, 0.73)]. Being more satisfied increased the odds of being adherent [low vs. medium/high: OR1 1.02 (95% CI 1.01, 1.03)]. Taking medication >1 year [OR1 = 2, 0.60 (95% CI 0.43, 0.83)] and taking calcium channel blockers [OR1 = 2 0.71 (95% CI 0.54, 0.92)] decreased the odds for both low vs. medium/high and low/medium vs. high adherence. Conclusions Only one in five patients reported perfect (high) adherence to their antihypertensive treatment regimen. Experiencing ADEs and being dissatisfied with treatment were associated with lower adherence. In addition to addressing treatment satisfaction and drug safety in first-world countries, these should also be addressed in resource-poor settings, within patient consultations, to enhance adherence.

Publisher URL: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/resolve/doi

DOI: 10.1111/bcp.13312

You might also like
Discover & Discuss Important Research

Keeping up-to-date with research can feel impossible, with papers being published faster than you'll ever be able to read them. That's where Researcher comes in: we're simplifying discovery and making important discussions happen. With over 19,000 sources, including peer-reviewed journals, preprints, blogs, universities, podcasts and Live events across 10 research areas, you'll never miss what's important to you. It's like social media, but better. Oh, and we should mention - it's free.

  • Download from Google Play
  • Download from App Store
  • Download from AppInChina

Researcher displays publicly available abstracts and doesn’t host any full article content. If the content is open access, we will direct clicks from the abstracts to the publisher website and display the PDF copy on our platform. Clicks to view the full text will be directed to the publisher website, where only users with subscriptions or access through their institution are able to view the full article.