3 years ago

Effect of air removal with extracorporeal balloon inflation on incidence of asymptomatic cerebral embolism during cryoballoon ablation of atrial fibrillation

Asymptomatic cerebral embolism (ACE) is sometimes detected after cryoballoon ablation of atrial fibrillation. The removal of air bubbles from the cryoballoon before utilization may reduce the rate of ACE. Objective This study aims to compare the incidence of ACE between a conventional and a novel balloon massaging method during cryoballoon ablation. Methods Of 175 consecutive patients undergoing initial cryoballoon ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, 60 (34.3%) patients underwent novel balloon massaging with extracorporeal balloon inflation in saline water (group N) before the cryoballoon was inserted into the body. The remaining 115 (65.7%) patients underwent conventional balloon massaging in saline water while the balloon remained folded (group C). Of those, 86 propensity score–matched patients were included. Results The baseline characteristics were similar between the 2 groups. In group N, even after balloon massaging in saline water was carefully performed, multiple air bubbles remained on the balloon surface when the cryoballoon was inflated in all cases. Postprocedural cerebral magnetic resonance imaging detected ACE in 14.0% of all patients. The incidence of ACE was significantly lower in group N than in group C (4.7% vs 23.3%; P = .01). According to multivariable analysis, the novel method was the sole factor associated with the presence of ACE (odds ratio 0.161; 95% confidence interval 0.033–0.736; P = .02). Conclusion Preliminary removal of air bubbles in heparinized saline water with extracorporeal balloon inflation reduced the incidence of ACE. Since conventional balloon massaging failed to remove air bubbles completely, this novel balloon massaging method should be recommended before cryoballoon utilization.

Publisher URL: www.sciencedirect.com/science

DOI: S1547527117306495

You might also like
Discover & Discuss Important Research

Keeping up-to-date with research can feel impossible, with papers being published faster than you'll ever be able to read them. That's where Researcher comes in: we're simplifying discovery and making important discussions happen. With over 19,000 sources, including peer-reviewed journals, preprints, blogs, universities, podcasts and Live events across 10 research areas, you'll never miss what's important to you. It's like social media, but better. Oh, and we should mention - it's free.

  • Download from Google Play
  • Download from App Store
  • Download from AppInChina

Researcher displays publicly available abstracts and doesn’t host any full article content. If the content is open access, we will direct clicks from the abstracts to the publisher website and display the PDF copy on our platform. Clicks to view the full text will be directed to the publisher website, where only users with subscriptions or access through their institution are able to view the full article.