3 years ago

Incidence, predictive factors and impacts of acute kidney injury in cirrhotic patients hospitalized for cellulitis

Agustín Albillos, Luis Tellez, Ana Garcia Garcia de Paredes, Francisco Gea, Miguel Angel Rodriguez-Gandia, Lara Aguilera Castro, Enrique Rodriguez de Santiago, Javier Martinez
Background & Aims Cellulitis is a common infection in patients with cirrhosis but its impact on progression of liver disease has been hardly addressed. This study examines the incidence of acute kidney injury (AKI), predictive factors and its impacts on mortality in cirrhotic patients hospitalized for cellulitis. Methods Retrospective data from cirrhotic patients hospitalized for cellulitis over the period January 2006 to September 2015 were analysed. AKI was defined according to revised criteria of the International Club of Ascites. Results A total of 101 episodes of cellulitis were examined (70.3% men; mean age 60.6 ± 13.6 years). Of patients, 27% met criteria for acute on chronic liver failure (ACLF) (grade 1: 63%; grade 2: 22%; grade 3: 15%). AKI was recorded in 50.5% (type 1: 67%; type 2: 19%; type 3: 14%). AKI was present on admission in 21 of the 51 patients (41%) who developed it. In the remaining 30 patients (59%), AKI appeared during hospitalization and its development was associated with a MELD score >14 (70% vs 30%, P=.024). In-hospital mortality was 10% and all patients who died had AKI. A high MELD score on admission, AKI and ACLF were associated with in-hospital mortality (P<.05). One-month transplant-free survival was 84% (70% vs 98% in patients with and without AKI, P=.001). Conclusions In cirrhotic patients, cellulitis is a serious infection that often leads to AKI and ACLF. AKI is a strong predictor of mortality in this setting.

Publisher URL: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/resolve/doi

DOI: 10.1111/liv.13515

You might also like
Never Miss Important Research

Researcher is an app designed by academics, for academics. Create a personalised feed in two minutes.
Choose from over 15,000 academics journals covering ten research areas then let Researcher deliver you papers tailored to your interests each day.

  • Download from Google Play
  • Download from App Store
  • Download from AppInChina

Researcher displays publicly available abstracts and doesn’t host any full article content. If the content is open access, we will direct clicks from the abstracts to the publisher website and display the PDF copy on our platform. Clicks to view the full text will be directed to the publisher website, where only users with subscriptions or access through their institution are able to view the full article.