3 years ago

Shelf-life extension and quality attributes of sauced silver carp fillet: A comparison among direct addition, edible coating and biodegradable film

Nowadays, antimicrobial packaging materials is attracting remarkable attention as one of the preferred emerging technologies to prevent the development and spread of spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms via food foodstuffs. The aim of the present study was to incorporate Ziziphora clinopodioides essential oil (ZEO; 0 and 0.5%), apple peel extract (APE; 0 and 1%) and zinc oxide nanoparticle (ZnO; 0 and 0.5%) into sauced silver carp fillet using three techniques including direct addition, edible coating and composite film based on sodium alginate-carboxymethylcellulose (SA-CMC) to increase the shelf life (microbial, chemical and sensory properties) and inhibit the growth of Listeria monocytogenes during refrigerated storage over a period of two weeks. The fillet coated with ZEO 0.5% + APE 1% + ZnO 0.5% significantly exhibited the lowest bacterial population for the entire of storage period (P < 0.05). All treated samples tended to retard the increases in total volatile base nitrogen, trimethyl-amine nitrogen, pH and peroxide value. ZEO 0.5% + APE 1% + ZnO 0.5% and ZEO 0.5% + APE 1% showed the best sensory attributes (odor, color and overall acceptability). It can be concluded that the SA-CMC coatings or films enriched with ZEO 0.5% + APE 1% + ZnO 0.5% and ZEO 0.5% + APE 1% can be used as appropriate active packaging materials to preserve sauced silver carp fillets.

Publisher URL: www.sciencedirect.com/science

DOI: S0023643817306382

You might also like
Never Miss Important Research

Researcher is an app designed by academics, for academics. Create a personalised feed in two minutes.
Choose from over 15,000 academics journals covering ten research areas then let Researcher deliver you papers tailored to your interests each day.

  • Download from Google Play
  • Download from App Store
  • Download from AppInChina

Researcher displays publicly available abstracts and doesn’t host any full article content. If the content is open access, we will direct clicks from the abstracts to the publisher website and display the PDF copy on our platform. Clicks to view the full text will be directed to the publisher website, where only users with subscriptions or access through their institution are able to view the full article.